Friday, April 06, 2007

Catching my breath

In one week I'll be presenting at CATESOL on this subject . . . my transition and adult ed. students' transition to college. What will I say? During these past months, several questions have been asked or implied: What can adult ed. ESL teachers do to prepare their students for college? Does the college ESOL curriculum meet the needs/goals of its students? At what point should non-native speakers leave ESOL behind? How can or should adult and college faculty collaborate? How can or should ESOL and content faculty collaborate? These are big questions, but they also suggest an agenda. If we are to facilitate adult ed. students' transition, we need to engage in curriculum review and dialogue. The conversation should include ESL faculty from both divisions, English Department faculty, ESL learners, counselors, and subject matter faculty.

In fact, this need became apparent at our last English Dept. meeting as we began a serious discussion of learning communities (paired courses in which students enroll in both sections, for example a developmental reading course paired with a developmental writing course, or an English course paired with a history or math course). The advantages of these pairings are multiple: improved retention/persistence; increased learning; renewed curriculum, and energized instruction. Some faculty argued strongly that there should be compensation to participating faculty because of the extra preparation and collaboration time. Then came a plaintive request from our Assistant Dept. Chair -- In our enthusiasm for learning communities, let us not forget nor neglect the need for curriculum review in all our basic courses, especially English 51 (the developmental writing course prior to English 101 which requires passsing a timed five-parapgraph essay on a topic agreed upon by all three college campuses within our district). The discussion then became focused on this need, the need to re-do English 51. Soon, we realized that if we revamp pivotal English 51, we will need to scrutinize all developmental courses, including ESOL. The discusssion gave me a chance to voice some of the questions and concerns that have been populating this blog. I expect that curriculum will be an emphasis in the coming year in our department, and I say, the broader and more inclusive the conversation and the participation is, the better.

9 Comments:

Blogger Marian Thacher said...

Cool, you're doing a transition workshop at CATESOL. You should post what time and where, for your faithful blog followers. :)

I'm really getting into this blogging thing. We need to drive more "trafficf" to our blogs.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Marian Thacher said...

Hey, I just noticed that you have a link to my blog -- thank you!! I've been posting more lately, on adult ed and technology, and sometimes just on technology in general.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous College Research Paper said...

I appreciate the work of all people who share information with others.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what, use GSM blocker to jam all spy transmitters in your room or office.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning dudes. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the boots were approximately 170 bucks on every site. But definitively I bring about this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what do you think?

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for the sake of that exact brand. The prices for the sneakers are approximately 180 pounds everwhere. But for all I base this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking allowing for regarding that particular model. The prices as regards the shoes are about 250 pounds on every site. But finally I base this site selling them for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what is your opinion?

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching as far as something that meticulous make. The prices as regards the velcros are about 350 dollars on every page. But for all I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what can you tell me about these?

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home